San Luis Obispo Psychologist – Lynn Winsten
San Luis Obispo Psychologist Offering Therapy For Anxiety & Depression
Psychologist & Therapist Serving San Luis Obispo, California
Anxiety is an emotion that lets us know something has happened to frighten us. You might feel shaky, or tongue-tied, irritable, and uneasy in social situations, or find yourself full of worry, concerned often with “what if”, or perhaps you feel terror, or unable to stop the uncomfortable feelings and repetitive thoughts. Anxiety rears its head when we try new things, meet new people, and do new things … but sometimes it is not clear from where it arises.
If you experience anxiety often or intensely, you may know that there are both healthy and unhealthy coping strategies and some that help in the long run and others that are short-term fixes.
Our addictions to all kinds of substances, food, exercise, sex, and the latest devices all keep anxiety at bay, but if used to block anxiety by being used excessively, they actually do not help in the long run.
Therapy that allows a person to see clearly where the anxiety originated is most effective for long-term relief. When combined with genuine mindfulness, a person can develop insight and calm.
Working with a psychologist, such as Dr. Lynn Winsten, a San Luis Obispo therapist, can help you get down to the roots of your distress and can enhance greater self-awareness and belief in yourself. Knowing what causes your distress and self-compassion will get you free to enjoy your life more fully.
Once we truly understand the truth of what is driving this misery, we can begin the process of gaining greater insight and learn how to deal more effectively with our discomfort.
Learning mindfulness strategies brings us greater awareness, as does self-regulation that occurs when we process our experiences in a safe, compassionate, and warm therapeutic environment. Please find help in the San Luis Obispo, CA area as soon as possible. Dr. Lynn Winsten can offer safe passage to getting control of your life again.
Why is Therapy for Anxiety Important?
As an intensely uncomfortable experience, your anxiety needs professional assistance to be fully treated. But anxiety therapy is more important than anxiety medication since therapy can treat the underlying causes of the condition rather than just alleviate the symptoms.
In a nutshell, anxiety therapy can:
- Help you discover the underlying causes of your fears and worries
- Discover how to help you relax, even in the presence of anxiety-inducing things or events
- Cope and problem-solve to a better mental state
- And more
In other words, anxiety therapy gives you the tools you need to overcome your anxiety as well as teaches you how to use them effectively. Furthermore, anxiety therapy is best sought out with trained psychologists.
Trained San Luis Obispo psychologists know exactly how to identify what kind of anxiety are experiencing, what the origin of the anxiety is, and what kind of therapy to leverage for the most success.
Types of Therapy for Anxiety
No two people are alike, and a good psychologist in San Luis Obispo will understand this in full. Therefore, they’ll use one of several different types of therapy for anxiety to develop a treatment that works for your unique needs and concerns.
Therapy for anxiety comes in several major types, including:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy or CBT. This is the most widely used therapy for all anxiety disorders. It revolves around the premise that your thoughts are the primary catalyst for how you think and behave. With CBT, you’ll come to understand your negative thinking and replace any ineffective behavior patterns with more positive thoughts
- Exposure therapy may be helpful when treating anxiety disorders that are focused on phobias or PTSD. In a nutshell, exposure therapy will train you to endure the fear and anxiety around a trigger through systematic desensitization. This therapy is helpful for individuals who need to learn how to cope with their anxiety-inducing triggers due to their lifestyle or work
- Dialectical behavioral therapy or DBT. This effective anxiety therapy type can be used to treat borderline personality disorder in a variety of other conditions. With help of your psychologist, DBT can help you develop a dialectical outlook by accepting your anxiety and working actively to change it. It can help boost your self-esteem and confidence by teaching powerful skills like mindfulness, emotion regulation, and more
- Acceptance and commitment therapy or ACT, which is a helpful type of therapy for identifying your important values in life and acting in ways that match those values
There are many more types of anxiety therapy than this, but your psychologist will go over all of your options with you during your consultation. If you are still looking for a San Luis Obispo Psychologist, please consider reaching out to Dr. Lynn Winste. She has the experience to help you.
What to Expect from Your Anxiety Therapy
If you’ve never been to therapy in San Luis Obispo for anxiety before, that’s okay! It’s important to know what to expect from your anxiety therapy sessions.
For example, you won’t immediately start to feel better in most cases. Instead, you have to recognize that anxiety therapy takes time to take effect. Furthermore, many people who start anxiety therapy find that they feel a little vulnerable at first.
This is a normal part of the process as all types of anxiety therapy involve exposing your worries and fears in meaningful ways. However, anxiety therapy properly administered by a trained psychologist can produce effective results and help you overcome your anxiety in a more complete, thorough way than mere medication.
Furthermore, your psychologist will be with you every step of the way and will not pursue therapy treatments that are too uncomfortable or that you do not agree with. All in all, your anxiety therapy is a personal journey that your psychologist will be happy to help you complete.